Divorce Legal Representation

Divorce Lawyers Central Coast

get divorce legal representation in gosford

Getting a divorce on the Central Coast can be a stressful and difficult experience. But with the assistance of our divorce lawyers, we work hard to make the process run as smoothly and stress-free as possible.



When looking for a professional Divorce lawyer on the Central Coast, think Linda Emery.


What You Need To Know About Getting A Divorce 

According to Australian law, there is no-fault divorce system. This means that either party to a marriage is able to apply for a divorce on the Central Coast, as long as the couple has been separated for at least 12 months. Divorce terminology is divided into two sections:



Divorce Legal terminology

Decree Nisi – This term is applied when the divorce proceedings are complete, but before the divorce is finalised. Until the divorce is finalised, the parties are still considered married by law.


Decree Absolute – This declaration means that the marriage has reached a legal end and you are officially divorced.



Legal Documents For The Divorce Process

In order to apply for divorce, you need to provide certain documents before proceedings can go ahead. You will be required to supply your:

  • Marriage certificate

If you married in Australia but don’t have a copy, you can contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages on 137 788 or on their official website. However, if you got married overseas and the certificate is not in English, it must be translated by an authorised translating business. In this case, the qualified translator will provide an affidavit which must be filed with the marriage certificate.



You’ll also be required to provide your:

  • Australian citizenship or passport

If you weren’t born in Australia, you need to obtain a citizenship certificate or visa documentation that proves you’re a legal resident of Australia and have lived in the country on a consistent basis for more than 12 months.





In regard to the court proceeding, you may need to provide an affidavit to confirm the following information (if applicable):

  • Your spouse’s and your name is different from what’s presented on the marriage certificate
  • You and your spouse live(d) under the same roof during the separation period
  • You and your spouse have been married for less than two years and were not able to participate in marriage counselling
  • You were not able to obtain a copy of your marriage certificate
  • You are not able to obtain your spouse’s current address

The best divorce is an amicable one. At Linda Emery & Associates, our divorce lawyers on the Central Coast bring more than 30 years’ of experience to the table, ensuring you’re represented with compassion and professionalism.



Call us today or fill out our enquiry form to book an on-site consultation.



Divorce Lawyer


Before anything, it is important to first make an appointment with a family law solicitor. We will then be able to assess your situation and move forward from there. 

Divorce timeframes vary according to the client’s circumstances. Some procedures only take a short time, while more complex situations involving children and property can take longer. You can trust Linda Emery will work to make the process as efficient as possible!

Only in limited circumstances if you have been separated for one year or proper arrangements for parenting and financial support of children are in place.